|Address: 55-59 Pleasant Street
||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: c 1870||Builder/Architect: Unknown|
|Style: Gothic Revival|
The house has been extremely renovated and has lost most of its original detailing. It has a gable roof with a central cross gable peak in the front.
The original owner was John Harley, who ran a general store and was collector of customs for Bridgewater. He sold the home to his son-in-law, Judge Mather Byles DesBrisay in 1878 for $2000. DesBrisay made some renovations of his own to the building, including raising the roof and made the central dormer more prominent. It was later purchased by Fred W. Clark in 1919, who operated a hotel next door. The original structure would have had nice wide cornerboards with capital mouldings, returning eaves, a veranda, as well as wooden detail along the eaves.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum