|Address: 80 Pleasant Street
||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: 1893||Builder/Architect: Boehner|
|Style: Second Empire|
The courthouse was constructed mainly of wood with a mansard roof, dormers, and a central tower with peaked roof. Before the renovations that saw the placement of the vinyl siding, the courthouse had impressive details. The second story windows were originally round headed, and the first floor windows had transom lights and cornices over them. Moulded belt courses defined the floor levels and small brackets added definition to the eaves.
The Courthouse has a long history with its beginnings getting off to a rather shaky start. A rivalry developed between Bridgewater and Lunenburg as to who would get the new courthouse scheduled to be built in the area. After voting was finished, and Bridgewater had won the new courthouse by a margin of one vote, rumours of bribery and illegal contracts began. Premier W.S. Fielding finally had to step in and tame the tempers that were flaring out of control. Promising $9,500 to each Bridgewater and Lunenburg, both communities were able to build a courthouse. The old courthouse was used until the South Shore Justice Center on High Street in 2009.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum