83 Elm St

Share This!

83_Elm

Address: 83 Elm St.

Heritage Status: None
Built: c. 1906
Builder/Architect: Unknown
Style: Foursquare

 

Architecture:

  • This very large house was built in the Foursquare tradition with its steeply pitched hip roof and dormer protruding from the roof. Also note the moulded dormer trim , the veranda and its turned columns and posts and the way the central second-storey window juts out to form a slight 'V' shape.

 

History:

  • This house was built for William O. Bates around 1906, while the property was still owned by his mother, the widow of James W. Bates. The younger Bates used this house as his residence for the rest of his life. William was a partner in the Bates-Freeman Hardware Company which was located on King St. This prosperous hardware business was founded in 1907 and lasted until after Bates' death in 1944. The home remained in the Bates family until at least 1980.

 

Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum