416 King St.

Share This!


Address: 416 King St.

Heritage Status: None
Built: c.1878-1883
Builder/Architect: Unknown
Style: Greek Revival 

Architecture:

  • This large and tall building no longer retains original clapboards, but still features returned eaves and small window openings. The storefront has been altered compatibly. It also has the retention of the original storefront cornice. Recent dormers that were added to the roof have altered the character of the building.

History:

  • Registered deeds indicate that there may have been earlier wharves and buildings on this site which were acquired by Joseph Newcomb between 1866 and 1878. The A. F. Church Map (c. 1883) shows a large building as "J. Newcombe" and it is inferred that the present building was built sometime between 1878 and 1883. Land price increases between 1878 ($660) and 1904 ($3700) also seem to suggest this. This is the oldest building on this part of King Street. 

Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum