58 Elm St.

Share This!

58 Elm

Address: 58 Elm St.

Heritage Status: None
Built: 1890 Builder/Architect: Unknown
Style: Barn

Architecture:

  • The hipped gable roof of this barn reflects the design of the Archie Davison house on #48 Elm Street, with which it was originally associated. Note the attention to detail on the cornerboards, which are finished with moulded capitals, and the small moulded hoods over the windows. 

History:

  • This was originally the barn for the Archie Davison Estate and was probably constructed shortly after the completion of the Archie Davison house in 1890. Archie Davison was the son of E.D. Davison Sr., founder of the Davison Lumber and Manufacturing Co. Archie and his brothers continued to run the business after their father's death in 1894 until they sold the company in 1903. The Davison business was an important element in Bridgewater's economy, employing nearly one hundred men and in its time the largest lumber business in Nova Scotia and one of the largest in the country. After selling the company Archie and G.A. Boehner ran the LaHave Steamship Company, providing tugboat service to vessels that were too large to maneuvre up the narrow LaHave River. Archie died from heart failure at age 52 on November 26, 1927. 

Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum