137 King St.

Share This!

137 King

Address: 137 King St.

Heritage Status: None
Built: From 1851 to 1866 Builder/Architect: Unknown
Style: Four Square

Architecture:

  • This 2 1/2 storey house has been substantially altered by its conversion into apartments with picture window, an exterior stairway, and added doors. However, vestiges of the original character remain in moulded hoods over the gable end windows, bracketed eave returns, moulded corner pilaster, fluted trim around the main doors and a transom window over the main entrance at first floor level.

History:

  • William Kemp sold this house to Rev. William Bowers, a Lutheran in 1871 for $800. Rev William W. Bowers was asked in 1855 to come and assist with the Lutheran parish in the area and in May of 1859 he was called to be the first pastor of the newly organized St. Paul's Lutheran Parish of Bridgewater. Rev. Bowers resigned in 1863. 

Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum