|Address: 673 King St.||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: circa 1860||Builder/Architect: Unknown|
|Style: No particular style|
Some original features of this building’s architecture still remains, such as wide corner boards with moulded capitals, 6 over 6 windows on the upper storey, and returned eaves. Note that the large rectangular addition was constructed in the 1950’s which overpowers much of the building’s original form.
From 1859 to 1869, Robert Dawson (1825-1894) acquired various parcels of land including this property and others around the area, thus it is likely that the original building here was constructed circa 1860. The building housed the stove store of the Dawson family, who became very prominent in Bridgewater’s business world - the 1918 Busy East Magazine stated that he established himself in Bridgewater “shortly after” 1848. After Dawson, Walter Gow (1882-1945) owned the property from 1928-1948, followed by Gow Bros Ltd.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum and Biography Files, DesBrisay Museum