|Address: 595-599 King St.||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: 1900||Builder/Architect: Unknown|
|Style: Main Street Commercial|
Some original features of this building’s architecture remain intact such as the cornice at roof level, masonry caps over the windows, and aprons below the windows. However, renovations have altered the appearance of the storefront; some examples of that renovation include replacement of signage, painting, and removal of dentil work.
Henry Barnaby’s original general store at this location was burned down in 1899, and Henry was killed during the fire. His widow, Sophia, rebuilt the premises between 1899 and 1900. An excerpt from the Bridgewater Bulletin of July 18, 1899 reads, “Barnaby’s store is nearly finished outside”. His sons, Arthur and Howard, carried on his business, called “H.C. Barnaby & Sons” until 1950.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum