|Address: 630 LaHave St.||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: circa 1883||Builder/Architect: Unknown|
|Style: Greek Revival|
This is a small gabled 1½ storey house built in a simple Greek Revival design with original features such as column caps, corner boards, and shingling. It has undergone extensive renovations since its build, which has led to changes such as new windows, a new door, siding, and a modified veranda.
This house appears on the A.F. Church Map in 1883 as one of two houses owned by James Williams Bates, though Bates did not own the property until 1884. Therefore, he must have already had the house built or was at least renting the house before he owned the property. Following J. W. Bates, his son William O. Bates (a prominent merchant – owner of Bates-Freeman Hardware Co.) owned the property from 1909 to 1919, and then Victoria Ernst (the town’s first female physician) held ownership from 1919 to 1940.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum