|Address: 638 LaHave St.||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: circa 1887||Builder/Architect: Unknown|
|Style: Maritime Vernacular|
This house features a symmetrical design with small windows and a transom window around the original doorway. All of its architectural elements once pointed to a build in the late 19th century. Its architectural integrity is greatly affected by modern renovations.
On the 1883 A.F. Church map, two houses on either side of this one (630 and 642 LaHave) show ownership by James William Bates, but Bates did not own this property until 1887. Its architecture once pointed to a build date circa 1887. Following J. W. Bates, his son William O. Bates had ownership from 1909 to 1919. Notably the first female physician, Victoria Ernst, owned the property from 1919 to her death in 1940.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum