Brookside Cemetery is like a beautiful park with natural lily pond, well-kept graves on terraced hillsides among the maple trees - a place of quiet walks, remembrance and rest.
In 1879 Dean Wile set apart the land for Brookside Cemetery, planned and cared for it until he conveyed it to the town in 1902. The first burial dates back to 1860. Additional land was purchased in 1888 which increased the area to about 31 acres along the north side of Victoria Road at York Street. Plots were sold for $5.00 each, 20 x 20.
In the 1920s, the Town Band would lead a parade of firemen to the fountain where they would play hymns and everybody sang. The names of the deceased firemen would be read and flowers placed on each grave next to the bronze ladder.
In 1947, Oddfellows, LaHave Lodge #60 and Atlantic Rebekahs #52 erected a memorial monument at Brookside Cemetery.
On August 14, 2005, "Veterans' Memorial Park" was officially opened in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the end of hostilities WWII and the Year of the Veteran.
In 2008, a Columbaria was erected at the Cemetery. This is a new service for the interment of ashes. Each niche is 12" x 12" and holds 2 urns.
Niche: The price includes openings and closing for either one or two people with engraving of name and date of death on the niche. Cost for this inclusive service is $2600 + HST.
Grave Lots + Perpetual Care: The price for a Single grave lot purchase (holds 1 body or 4 cremations) is $800 + HST for a resident of the Town or $1600 + HST for non-resident.
Grave Openings and Closing:
$700 + HST for adult
$300 + HST for child
$250 + HST for burial of ashes
For more information or to purchase a lot or niche, please contact the Brookside Cemetery Office, 902-543-6947 or Cemetery Operator Stephen Girvan, 902-521-0047.
106 Victoria Road