King Street c. 1885
King Street c. 1915
G. H. Burkett & Co. c. 1890

127 Queen Street

Share This!


Address: 127 Queen St. Heritage Status: None
Built: c. 1902 Builder/Architect: Unknown
Style: Foursquare



  • This house is one of several in this area of town built in the same highly distinctive style. The house is distinguished by its balanced design and its lavish attention to detail. The main roof eaves, the veranda eaves, the dormer eaves, and the bay window eaves are all ornamented with modillion and dentil courses and subtle, moulded friezes, architraves and cornerboards. The main facade particularly has a pleasing symmetry arranged about the central veranda steps, central doorway, central mullioned windows on the second storey, and central dormer projecting from the hipped roof. All in all, this home is highly notable for its architectural design.



  • John Nelson, the home's first owner, was a merchant. He died in 1908. His wife owned the house until 1913. The home then passed to Ruby McArthur, then Colin McArthur. From 1945-1979, it was owned by Harold Verge, a planning consultant, and is now known as 'the Verge House'. It now functions as a Lunenburg County School Board special education facility.


Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum

Heritage Homes...

Well-built and durable
Energy efficient
Create community pride
Increase property value
Rejuvenate communities
Create affordable buildings
Save local memories
Define the community’s image
Reduce need to develop green spaces
Generate income
Reduce green house gas emissions
Generate jobs
Reduce landfill