|Address: 642 LaHave St.||Heritage Status: None|
|Built: circa 1883||Builder/Architect: Unknown|
|Style: Greek Revival|
Features of this house’s architecture that can be observed include its gable roof, plain trim, and shingles. Alterations to the original structure include the addition of a veranda and the subdivision of the house into two apartments.
On the A.F. Church Map of 1883, James William Bates’ name appears at this property as well as the one at 630 LaHave St., although he did not officially own the property until 1887 suggesting that the houses were built by 1883. Following Bates’ ownership, the property was sold as a lot with the 638 LaHave St. property, being owned by his son, William O. Bates, from 1909-1919, and the town’s first female physician, Victoria Ernst, form 1919-1940.
Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum