040-042 Empire Street

Share This!


Address: 40-42 Empire St.

Heritage Status: None
Built: c. 1880 Builder/Architect: Probably John Artz
Style: Maritime Vernacular



  • This old building has been remodelled considerably. Originally, it was probably more elaborately ornamented than it is now.



J. Artz owned the home until 1905. The home may be older than 1880, but deeds are unclear from that point in time. Artz was a house joiner. The home had many brief owners, including: Frederick W. Clark (hotelkeeper), Parker G. Corbin (episcopal clergyman), David Ritcey (master mariner) and two town electrical superintendants.


Source: Built Heritage Files, DesBrisay Museum