While the historic presence of the Mi'kmaw in the LaHave River Valley dates back thousands of years, the greater Bridgewater area's period of European settlement is relatively young by comparison, beginning around 1810. The community grew from an inland trading post to a hub of commerce, lumbering and milling, shipping, and services by the 1880s. During the period that followed 1880, many of Bridgewater's historic dwellings that still stand today were built.
But time is now always kind and progress often supercedes preservation of histroic buildings. The following index of homes and buildings were each once a part of Bridgewater's rich built heritage, but have been lost to the ever-changing landscape of our community.
Click on the links to read about the architecture and their histories.