60 Pleasant Street, Bridgewater, NS, B4V 3X9
Tel: 902-543-4651 Fax: 902-543-6876
Emergency After Hours Tel: 902-543-5142

Common Planning Questions

What do I need before I build in the Town of Bridgewater?

Share This!

Any person or party intending to erect, construct, add to, alter, replace or relocate any building or part of a building or structure; change or alter the use made of land, buildings or structures within the Town of Bridgewater should contact the Engineering & Planning Department at the Town of Bridgewater for information and further guidelines.

Do I need permits to build or install a deck, shed, pool or fence?

Share This!

Yes - A Development Permit is required. It is the use of new structures and concerned with where they are placed on a lot in relation to property boundaries. As well, a Building Permit is needed for accessory buildings over 215 sq. ft., canopies, decks, pools and pool enclosures to ensure they are built to code.

Does an above-ground or inflatable pool need a permit?

Share This!

Permits are required for all types of swimming pools. A swimming pool is defined as a water-filled enclosure, permanent or portable, capable of holding water to a depth of more than 24-inches. A copy of the Town of Bridgewater's Swimming Pool By-Law and suggestions for filling can be obtained from the Engineering Department or viewed on the Pool and Deck Regulations page of our website.

Do I need a permit to remove a structure?

Share This!

Yes - A Demolition Permit is required for the removal of any building or major part thereof. Contact the Engineering Department to apply. For details concerning demolition waste management, contact the Lunenburg Regional Recycling and Composting Facility at Tel: (902) 543-2991.

How do I get a permit?

Share This!

There is one Permit Application form that must be completed to apply for the necessary permit(s). The application form must be signed by the owner of the lot, (or have written authorization from the owner) and be accompanied by a plot plan showing where the structure(s) will be located. The application must also include details about how the structure will be constructed and payment (if required). This form can be mailed, faxed, picked up from the Engineering/Planning Department, or downloaded here in PDF format.

How much does a permit cost?

There is no charge for a Development Permit. Fees for a Footing / Building or Demolition Permit are calculated at $2.10 per $1,000 of construction costs (Min. $10 for projects valued at $5,000 and under). If you are building it yourself, labour must be calculated in the total cost.

What additional details may be required?

Any additional details that may be required in part depend on the type of project and location. For smaller projects, a drawing of how the project will be constructed along with a list of materials may be sufficient. For larger projects, a complete set of blueprints or plans may be required. It is very important to provide as much detail as possible.

When can I start the project?

The project may begin after your permit is issued and you have been advised that the permit is ready. Especially during the construction season, it may take time for an application to be processed. Remember to apply early to avoid delays.

The project is complete - What now?

Your permit will detail what inspections are required at various stages according to the project. Please contact the Building Inspector for inspections so an Occupancy Permit can be issued.

We are happy to assist you with your building project. Please feel free to contact us with any questions:


Building Inspector - Tel: (902) 541-4371

Development Officer - Tel: (902) 541-4369